Hrm. Does look like that generally hit Texas today. I gather the new law there only applies to apps and not sites? Which would explain why it doesn't seem to be a thing for Dreamwidth (which has responded to age verification laws in other states by blocking access to the site).
...but I see people in Texas are saying they're being hit with bluesky age-verification on desktop too, so that's annoying. As far as I can tell nobody seems to know so far whether that's going to stick or what.
Other, similar, sites don't seem to have this problem. Either on the desktop or the app (I don't have X or Bluesky apps).
For now.
This is how Bluesky is dealing with the law, which is probably very literal. I suspect that no one really knows what the law requires as yet, so Bluesky went to full on porn mode* just to be safe.
I don't have any issues with IG, Discord and Substack -- although some Europeans left Discord after a similar age verification law last year.*** I don't expect LinkedIn to have a problem.
I was totally wrong:
SB 2420 places duties on app store operators rather than on individual app developers or websites.
The law requires nothing of Bluesky. They do not seem to be required to police the website at all, and have minimal responsibilities on the app. Although I just tried downloading the app on my phone, and it wouldn't verify me.
------
* Although not all porn sites that still operate in Texas require this level of personal detail. They may be in violation of the law, but if so no one cares. As long as PornHub** is over-reacting, the state's happy.
** A strong indication of anti-Canadian sentiment.
*** I assumed it was similar from what I'd heard, but the details are much more benign.
no subject
Date: 2026-07-10 03:04 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-07-10 03:40 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-07-11 02:22 pm (UTC)For now.
This is how Bluesky is dealing with the law, which is probably very literal. I suspect that no one really knows what the law requires as yet, so Bluesky went to full on porn mode* just to be safe.
I don't have any issues with IG, Discord and Substack -- although some Europeans left Discord after a similar age verification law last year.*** I don't expect LinkedIn to have a problem.
I was totally wrong:
The law requires nothing of Bluesky. They do not seem to be required to police the website at all, and have minimal responsibilities on the app. Although I just tried downloading the app on my phone, and it wouldn't verify me.
------
* Although not all porn sites that still operate in Texas require this level of personal detail. They may be in violation of the law, but if so no one cares. As long as PornHub** is over-reacting, the state's happy.
** A strong indication of anti-Canadian sentiment.
*** I assumed it was similar from what I'd heard, but the details are much more benign.